We are living in a crazy world.
2020 tested us all.
2021 is a continuation of.
2022 will be just as challenging and uncertain.
During lockdown, protests and recent events, I’ve been asking so many questions.
- Will the world go back to normal?
- What does the future look like?
- How do we move forward?
- How can we help?
There are no clear answers.
In a session with Kevin Roberts this week, he shared a story. In just six words, he summed up what I subconsciously knew, but couldn’t eloquently articulate.
He said, “The world looks different from here”.
It inspired me to share some lessons I’ve gained in navigating this new abnormal.
- Know your way. Seek clarity of purpose. It will drive you.
- Identify your feelings and commit to the solution. Don’t deny them. Fighting a feeling rarely works. Accept how you feel and move forward by committing to the solution. When in fear, feel fear and commit to love. When unhappy, honour it and commit to joy.
- Start every day with your ABC’s – Ambition. Belief. Courage. Set goals (no matter how small); have belief you can reach them and the courage to make things happen.
- Adapt. Improvise. Overcome – We must embrace the New Abnormal and find new ways to create our future happiness and success.
- Seek beauty & bravery – Notice and value what is beautiful in this world. Act with mental, moral and physical strength even when you know things are difficult or scary.
- Believe in a brighter, better future. What you believe, you create. Research shows, when you believe in a brighter, better future, you will continue to take actions necessary to create it.
- Never, never give up – There will be moments when you want to give up. It’s during these discouraging times that you need more positive thinking. You need faith and hope to keep going. Faith keeps you focussed on possibilities instead of problems. Hope keeps you moving towards the future. When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
- Be the difference. The world is changed by your example.
In times of adversity, when I’m seeking solace, I often turn to language, lyrics and literature.
This time, I took inspiration from the words of Deepak Chopra.
“Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future”.
“You must find the place inside yourself where nothing is impossible”.
The world will be what we make it.
Tuum Est – It’s up to you.